Jimmy James Kouratoras is an award-winning Auckland based artist whose work depicts a rich decadent examination of contemporary culture. Babies mix with dragons, trees-of-life are hung with vines faces and people, and there is a strong impression of the artist’s Greek and Maori heritage. At 45 years old, Kouratoras has been exhibiting his work outside his native New Zealand, although he has been painting ardently since the 1980s and has over two decades of experiences as a film scenic artist. He describes his work as a deliberate layering of story and vibrant textures, patterns and imagery.” He is also the winner of the People’s Choice Award at the Brisbane Contemporary Art Prize (2016) and has been selected a finalist for the National Contemporary Art Prize (2017).
Kouratoras’ debut solo exhibition was held at the stunning waterfront headquarters of Saatchi & Saatchi and since then he has had four international exhibitions including recent shows in Los Angeles and New York. His works are currently in private collections in Melbourne, London, Kuala Lumpur, Toronto, Los Angeles, New York and across New Zealand. He is also the Brisbane Contemporary Art Prize’s People’s Choice Winner (2016).
His public art includes a large permanent mural outside Ponsonby Central as well sculpting giant Easter eggs as part of the ‘Big Egg Hunt’ that were on display in Latimer Square, Christchurch, 2014. Two large artworks are also in the Beehive in the Office of the Hon. Hekia Parata, Minister of Education, as well as the neurological ward at Starship Hospital and on New Zealand’s iconic television drama Shortland Street. His sculptures have also travelled and were exhibited at the Eighth Asia-Pacific Triennale at GOMA (Gallery of Modern Art) Queensland
Selected past exhibitions
- 2017 – The Classics – International collaboration with New York Playwright Glory Kadigan – Auckland, New Zealand.
- 2016 – COLOURS group show – Auckland, New Zealand.
- 2016 – Brisbane Contemporary Art prize – Judith wright gallery of Contemporary Art – Brisbane, Australia. Winner: People’s Choice Award
- 2016 – Solo Exhibition: The Big Picture – Allpress Gallery – Auckland, New Zealand.
- 2016 – Group Exhibition of Contemporary Maori Artists: Tangatawhenua – Corbans Estate – Auckland, New Zealand.
- 2016 – Group Exhibition of Contemporary Maori Artists: Tangatawhenua – Academy of Fine Arts – Wellington, New Zealand.
- 2016 – Michael Fowler Center exhibition presenting work to the European Union – Wellington, New Zealand.
- 2015 – GOMA Asia Pacific Triennial Queensland Australia, Presenting work with Savage Klub Exhibition.
- 2015 – Ora Gallery New York City Pacific Exhibition Chealsea Manhattan.
- 2015 – Agora Gallery Chealsea New York City International Group Show
- 2014 – Nathan Club Britomart Kaitiaki Exhibition Auckland City New Zealand.
- 2014 – Unorthodox Exhibition Allpress Gallery Melbourne Australia.
- 2014 – Introducing Paintings and Prints Exhibition Allpress Gallery Auckland New Zealand.
- 2013 – Pou Exhibition Saatchi and Saatchi Solo Exhibition Auckland City.
- 2012 – PouPou Skate Art Exhibition Cross St Auckland City New Zealand.