Jimmy James Kouratoras
Jimmy James Kouratoras has always worked with his hands. A descendant from a long line of artisans wove together both his Cretan and Māori heritage with an imagination that was fired by the surfing, skateboarding and graffiti culture. He spent close to two decades working in the film industry as a scenic artist and his film credits include Hercules and Xena, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Last Samurai, Dororo (Japanese sci-fi) as well as a number of local and international commercials. Since 2012 Kouratoras, an entirely self-taught artist, has focused exclusively on developing his own craft. He has had solo exhibitions in Auckland, Los Angeles, New York, Brisbane, Melbourne and Queenstown. Winner of the People’s Choice Award at the Brisbane Contemporary Art Prize (2016) and shortlisted for the National Contemporary Art Award (2017). He has given many public talks collaborating with Auckland Museum, SPLICE and British Council.
• 2018 – Mapura Studios Charity Art Auction – Auckland, New Zealand (upcoming)
• 2018 – Solo Exhibition: Our Meeting Place – Artbay Gallery – Queenstown, New Zealand.
• 2017 – Solo Exhibition: The Classics – International collaboration with New York Playwright Glory Kadigan – Auckland, New Zealand.
• 2016 – COLOURS group show – Auckland, New Zealand.
• 2016 – Brisbane Contemporary Art prize – Judith wright gallery of Contemporary Art – Brisbane, Australia. Winner: People’s Choice Award
• 2016 – Solo Exhibition: The Big Picture – Allpress Gallery – Auckland, New Zealand.
• 2016 – Group Exhibition of Contemporary Māori Artists: Tangatawhenua – Corbans Estate – Auckland, New Zealand.
• 2016 – Michael Fowler Center exhibition presenting work to the European Union – Wellington, New Zealand.
• 2015 – GOMA Asia Pacific Triennial Queensland Australia, Presenting work with Savage Klub Exhibition.
• 2015 – Pacific Exhibition – Ora Gallery –Manhattan, USA.
• 2015 – International Group Show – Agora Gallery – Manhattan, USA.
• 2014 – Solo Exhibition: Kaitiaki – Nathan Club Britomart – Auckland,New Zealand.
• 2014 – Solo Exhibition: Unorthodox – Allpress Gallery – Melbourne, Australia.
• 2014 – Solo Exhibition: Introducing Paintings & Prints – Allpress Gallery – Auckland, New Zealand.
• 2013 – Solo Exhibition: Pou Exhibition – Saatchi and Saatchi – Auckland, New Zealand.
• 2012 – PouPou Skate Art – Cross St Gallery – Auckland, New Zealand.